Let your Voice be Heard: Call Senators During GAC
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) has pledged a vote on the member business lending bill, S. 509, which would raise the credit union member business lending limit from 12.25% to 27.5% of assets. “Democrats and Republicans are going to have to decide on where they stand for America’s credit unions,” said Reid on March 15.
Missouri’s U.S. Senators Claire McCaskill (D) and Roy Blunt (R) are not currently S. 509 cosponsors, and have previously indicated they did not anticipate action on the bill. Missouri credit unions must communicate with both offices that credit unions need their support as we head toward a vote.
Credit union advocates are asked to contact both Senators to encourage them to support the member business lending bill. Make sure the message comes from each Missouri credit union while credit union leaders from Missouri are in Washington, D.C. for the Credit Union National Association’s Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC).
Make calls to U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill: 202.224.6154 and U.S. Senator Roy Blunt: 202.224.5721
- State your name, credit union, location, field of membership and how many people you serve
- Tell them you are calling to ask for the Senator's support of S. 509
- It is important that the Senator is with credit unions on member business lending
- This bill isn't anti-bank, but pro-bank legislation should not pass without the member business lending bill also moving forward
- The Senate has already helped Wall Street and now it's time to help Main Street
- Missouri's small businesses and more than 1.3 million credit union members need the Senator's support on member business lending. Can we count on that support?
- Tell U.S. Senators McCaskill and Blunt that credit unions need their support for S. 509 to allow small businesses the opportunity to get loans they need.
GAC visits are scheduled for March 21. If possible, place your call to U.S. Senators McCaskill and Blunt in advance of that visit. Thank you for your efforts!