Kansas City Credit Unions Host Legislative Breakfast
State lawmakers learned more about credit unions during the Kansas City Chapter's Legislative Breakfast on September 24. The event drew nearly 40 credit union representatives and nine area legislators.
Missouri Credit Union Association (MCUA) Chief Advocacy Officer Peggy Nalls presented a brief overview of issues relating to credit unions in the upcoming state legislative session including payday lending and mandatory mediation for foreclosures. Legislators indicated that budget issues would again be a top priority in the 2013 session.
“I think it is great that the senators and representatives take the time to network with and listen to credit union leaders," says Tom Loftus, Missouri Central VP/COO. "It lets them know of the issues we face daily and how those issues affect our members and their constituents.”
Legislators attending included:
- Senator Will Kraus (R-District 8)
- Senator Elect Paul LeVota (D-District 11)
- Representative T.J. Berry (R-District 35)
- Representative Jeanie Lauer (R-District 54)
- Representative Shelia Solon (R-District 55)
- Representative Jay Swearingen (D-District 31)
- Candidate Nola Wood (R-District 37)
Credit unions attending include:
- Central Communications
- Central Missouri
- Missouri Central
- Raytown Lee’s Summit Community
- Saint Luke’s
- United Consumers
Candidate Nola Wood and Rep. Jeanie Lauer.
Rep. T.J. Berry and Rep. Shelia Solon.