In April, 7,592 youth caught the save wave thanks to credit unions in Missouri. These young savers deposited more than $1,126,000, and more than 340 new youth saving accounts were opened. On a national level, 94,466 youth deposited $20.5 million with 238 credit unions participating in this year’s National Youth Saving Challenge.
These results were reported by the Credit Union National Association (CUNA)—more than 70 percent of participating credit unions ran the challenge the entire month and the other 30 percent ran the challenge during National Credit Union Youth Week. Next year, CUNA plans to hold National Credit Union Youth Week on April 19-25, 2015, and run the National Youth Saving Challenge the entire month of April.
As part of the challenge, CUNA awarded $100 prizes to 25 young savers. The winners were randomly selected. One of those winners hails from Missouri.
Ann, 10, of St. Peters, won $100 for making a deposit into her 1st Financial Federal Credit Union (Wentzville) savings account. She’s pictured at right with Tanya Forsythe, branch manager for 1st Financial Federal Credit Union in St. Peters.
The Missouri Credit Union Association would like to thank all of the credit unions that participated in the Youth Saving Challenge, including 1st Financial Federal Credit Union, Arsenal Credit Union, Anheuser-Busch Employees’ Credit Union, Central Missouri Community Credit Union, Community Financial Credit Union, Educational Community Credit Union, Electro Savings Credit Union, First Missouri Credit Union, Joplin Metro Credit Union, Neighbors Credit Union, Southpointe Credit Union, Vantage Credit Union and West Community Credit Union.